12 Tips for Sustainable Travel
1. Consider going on a road trip. Or, if possible, take the train or bus instead of flying to your destination.
2. If you need to fly, book a non-stop flight. Choose from among the most eco-friendly airlines and the most fuel-efficient aircrafts. Check out carbon offset programs and sign up for one.
3. Pick an eco-friendly rental car, if needed, like a hybrid vehicle.
4. Book tours with local tour companies promoting sustainable travel.
5. Use public transportation or look for other options like bike-sharing. Or consider walking to destinations that are fairly near you instead of taking the bus or subway.
6. Stay in eco-lodges or green accommodations that have environmentally friendly amenities and services in place.
7. Opt for a shower instead of using up more water for a bath.
8. Re-use towel instead of leaving it for housekeeping to pick up and replace after every single use.
9. Bring BPA-free plastic or a stainless steel water bottle instead of buying bottled water when traveling.
10. Bring your own reusable shopping bags.
11. Buy homegrown and locally-made products like food, souvenirs, and other items.
12. Eat local. Dine in restaurants or eateries that use locally-sourced ingredients and in-season produce.